Monday, April 25, 2022

Tea Stands for Tuesday. 4/26/22

Sunflowers are everywhere this year.  Many in support of the Ukraine.   I think I will have my tea in this little one cup tea set.  It has been in my cupboard for awhile.



hand painted individual tea set

I thought I would be fun to add a poetry reading to the tea party.  Sip your favorite drink and read along with me.



THE SUNFLOWERS
by Mary Oliver

Come with me
into the field of sunflowers.
Their faces are burnished disks,
their dry spines

creak like ship masts,
their green leaves,
so heavy and many,
fill all day with the sticky

sugars of the sun.
Come with me
to visit the sunflowers,
they are shy

but want to be friends;
they have wonderful stories
of when they were young -
the important weather,

the wandering crows.
Don't be afraid
to ask them questions!
Their bright faces,

which follow the sun,
will listen, and all
those rows of seeds -
each one a new life!

hope for a deeper acquaintance;
each of them, though it stands
in a crowd of many,
like a separate universe,

is lonely, the long work
of turning their lives
into a celebration
is not easy. Come

and let us talk with those modest faces,
the simple garments of leaves,
the coarse roots in the earth
so uprightly burning.

I'm visiting the Tea Party at Elizabeth's blog.  Elizabeth recently had a birthday (Happy Birthday Elizabeth) and she is celebrating with sunflowers too.

13 comments:

  1. I have never heard of that poem but i liked it! And your teacup is lovely! Happy T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing the poem and I love your tea set-I love these single serve little tea pots Happy T

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful poem Darla, and I like your tea set too. Any way we can show support for Ukraine is a good thing, which I am sure you agree. Have a great T day and week ahead. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  4. "each of them, though it stands in a crowd of many," says how I feel about Ukraine. I love the poem, I love the lovely one cup teapot combination, too. This is touching and poignant, Darla. I love this poem and tea pot/cup combination you shared with us for T this Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd not seen that Sunflowers poem, Darla. Thank you for sharing. The curtains in my dining room are blue with sunflowers. I bought the fabric in France years ago and while Himself thinks them "a bit much" I find them a cheery greeting each day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary Oliver has written the most beautiful poetry. Your tea set is so beautiful- a gorgeous painting of the sunflowers! Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful tea set, those sunflowers look gorgeous 😀. It's a wonderful tribute too! Happy T Day! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the sunflowers! The wandering crows would make interesting companions :) Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary Oliver's poetry is so beautiful, I love it so much. Your sunflower tea set is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely poem and tea cup!
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Mary Oliver, thanks for the poem, and your cup/teapot is so cute. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. The poem and your tea post are just beautiful. Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The poem was new to me; thank you for sharing. Beautiful sunflower teapot & cup. Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete