Monday, September 3, 2018

Happy Labor Day




Happy Labor Day

Today is Labor Day here in the U.S.  The last day of a three day weekend and for most folks it marks the unofficial end of summer. 

This is according to the Dept. of Labor. "Labor Day, the first Monday in September, is a creation of the labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country.




*Heilig Theater*

I thought it would be interesting to talk about our first job.  My first real job was as an usherette at the *Heilig Theater*  I worked part time there during high school.  My Father didn't really want me to work but I wanted to so he made a deal with me, I could work if I put half my pay check in saving.  Something I did religiously.  Since I was paid 35 cents an hour I can't say my savings account was ever huge but I added to it with every paycheck.

I have fond memories of that time.  Being an usherette at one of the two major movie theaters in town was considered rather glamorous and a plum job for a teenager. It was back in the day when movie theaters had a door man and usherettes wore a uniform and carried a flashlight.  When a major new film was being shown there was often a waiting line behind a big red satin rope in the lobby.  

Our uniforms were quite attractive if a bit military looking.  Usherettes had a dressing room to use to change from our street clothes.  It was located behind the stage and complete with fancy mirrors. lights and all. I think it was left over from the days when the theater actually held live productions.

Do you remember your first job?  Like it or hate it?

*** this was previously posted on my old (archived) blog.

4 comments:

  1. Besides babysitting, my first job was working summers at a concession stand at a local lake. I rented canoes, grilled hot dogs, made cotton candy etc. It was a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated Labor Day to you too, Darla. I was grillin' and chillin' and missed most of the day online.

    My first job (after babysitting) was a life guard at our local pool. It was a long day and we had to rotate every hour from low board life guard to inside selling tickets to high board life guard to concession stand. Repeat because we were not allowed to get sunburns. Even before we knew how harmful the summer rays could be on our skin, someone knew and made sure we were well protected. the most fun? End of the season party when we drained the pool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot to mention, we were sent each year for Red Cross sponsored life guard training. We had to be re-certified, or we didn't get to be a life guard. I did this all through high school and also we got 1 hour off after every 4 hours. I often taught diving lessons during that time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting subject Darla, and well done for having a job in a theatre during school years. My first job paid about the same as yours, and was to play piano for a ballet school on Saturday mornings when I was 12-13 years old. It only lasted for one or two years, but I did love the extra pocket money!

    ReplyDelete