Friday, September 21, 2018

September knitting

Earlier in the year I set myself a challenge.  I wanted to learn to knit Fair Isle mittens.  


They took me quite a long time to finish.  I had to be in a place of peace and quiet so I could concentrate.  I did do some less complex knitting in between times working on these.

This is said to be a traditional "selbu" pattern.  I think the points on the mitten top and on the thumbs relate to that.

Even though I struggled at times, overall I enjoyed the process.  I may even knit another pair at some point.

8 comments:

  1. These are gorgeous. I want to make some of these and was seriously thinking of starting some tonight. You've given me some inspiration to actually start this project. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, these are most impressive, Darla. I adore the pattern and even the lovely black and white colors you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! These are gorgeous. I think the black and white make them even more spectacular. Britt-Arnhild took me to a little shop that was selling goods from the Selbu knitters - the entire shop was filled with mittens, scarves, etc. all in patterns similar to this one. I can appreciate how you'd need peace and quiet to concentrate on the intricate patterning. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh! Those look complicated! Great job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, they are truly gorgeous! Bravo for setting such a challenge - stranding work indeed IS a challenge. It's such a beautiful pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darla, they are wonderful!! You did such a good job. Your knitting has progressed so quickly! Really beautiful.
    Hugs, Beth

    ReplyDelete