Friday, November 17, 2017

Leonora Carrington - female artist


Leonora Carrington  (6 April 1917 – 25 May 2011) was an English-born Mexican artist, surrealist painterand novelist. She lived most of her adult life in Mexico City, and was one of the last surviving participants in the Surrealist movement of the 1930s. Leonora Carrington was also a founding member of the Women’s Liberation Movement in Mexico during the 1970s.  (source:  Wikipedia)





Carrington left home at an early age and became the muse/mistress of Max Earnst.




I only recently discovered she was a writer as well as painter.  I'm interested in reading her book.  Unfortunately my library doesn't list it so it might be hard to find.



“Her stories are vivid, funny and surprisingly fresh . . . [combining] satire with surrealist situations to deftly mock the pomposity of organized religion, sexual repression or the endless forms of bureaucratic hypocrisy and ineptitude.” the new york times






9 comments:

  1. I've never heard of her (thx!) and am googling.... Her work is fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of her, but I like her art. Hope you find out more about her and find her book. Her art is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard of her either, Darla. Perhaps you could find a copy through Amazon.com.uk Or have you tried Barnes &I Noble?

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is a new person for me and I am going to go look for some of her other works. Thank you for the introduction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of her - she sounds like an interesting person. I sure love that top painting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS: The book is available at Amazon, either Kindle or paperback.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you find the book Darla. I have come across Carrington in other books about various artists, but have not looked into her life either. I think I might enjoy this one too. I did not realise she lived such a long life, right up to 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  8. missed you for T. Got your letter. Thanks beyond belief.

    ReplyDelete