Thursday, July 2, 2020

Second on the Second. 6/2/2020




On the second of every month, Elizabeth invites us to bring an older post back for a second look.  Here's my second look for this month.


My life will always have dirty dishes

If this sink can become

A place of contemplation,
Let me learn constancy here

Gunilla Norris
"Being Home"


I have the above quote framed and hanging near my sink.


I like doing dishes, having my hands in hot soapy water, day dreaming. When we had our kitchen remodeled I opted to have more storage space instead of a dishwasher. However we had them put the plumbing in for a dishwasher in case we ever want one. See that set of drawers at the bottom right of the sink? That unit can be pulled out and a dishwasher slipped in. Pretty tricky, huh?

How about you? Do you wash dishes by hand or use a dishwasher?

7 comments:

  1. Hi I have always washed dishes by hand-I have a farm girl background from my Mom and her Mom and we always talked while working in the kitchen and doing the dishes.
    the new lake house has one but have never used it. I wash in very hot water and don't mind the process at all.
    yes very clever of you-Happy second on the 2nd Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dishwasher for most things, but my good knifes and some of our pans are hand washed. My husband does the dishes...I cook. Good arrangement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a dishwasher as long as I could remember until I moved to Wichita and there was no room for one. I wash my hands at least 40 times a day, so I also wash dishes as soon as they are dirty. BTW, I wash my hands, dishes, everything in buckets. The buckets of water go on my herbs in my back yard. I don't waste anything, especially water and electricity.

    Loved seeing your incredible second look on the 2nd, dear Darla. It was a great way to plan ahead if you ever changed your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like doing dishes but I do have a dishwasher. And like ELizabeth, when I hand wash, I do it right away. the only time my sink has dirty dishes in it is when the dishwasher needs to be emptied. Smart choice to have the plumbing set for a dishwasher. When we bought one, we removed some drawers ti put ours in. Happy July 2. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Darla, Oh my gosh, we're twins. I don't have a dishwasher, but Phil and my uncle built the cabinets (drawers on the left side of the sink "just in case you change your mind") to accommodate one if I ever want one. I have a window above the sink that I can look out at the woods behind the back yard and it's a pleasant task. The only time I might have wanted a dishwasher was back when I was doing a lot of canning. It took time to sterilize the jars in a canner before I used them. Love your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to have a dishwasher years ago when the boys were younger! Now it is just me and (second) hubby we don't need one! Although I do confess to not doing that much washing up myself!!! Have a great weekend, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now this made me laugh. Our kitchen is way too small for a dishwasher, I am the dishwasher, just like you!
    It´s just Hubby and I so... not too much work.

    ReplyDelete