Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Second on the Second - 1/2/2019

In keeping with Elizabeth's Second on the second, I'm bringing this up for a second view.  


Thursday, December 29, 2016


Cleaning on my mind


The coming New Year always sets off a cleaning frenzy for me.  I don't think I am alone in this.  Files to be organized and papers to be shredded.  Closets to be cleaned and long unworn items to be donated.  Windows to be washed.  I know it is winter and I imagine we will get more rain - but still I'd like to be able to see out.  While I'm at it the blinds could stand some attention.  






Do you know, the more I look into life, the more things it seems to me I can successfully lack—and continue to grow happier. How many kinds of food I do not need, nor cooks to cook them, how much curious clothing nor tailors to make it, how many books that I never read, and pictures that are not worth while! The farther I run, the more I feel like casting aside all such impedimenta—lest I fail to arrive at the far goal of my endeavour.
I like to think of an old Japanese nobleman I once read about, who ornamented his house with a single vase at a time, living with it, absorbing its message of beauty, and when he tired of it, replacing it with another. I wonder if he had the right way, and we, with so many objects to hang on our walls, place on our shelves, drape on our chairs, and spread on our floors, have mistaken our course and placed our hearts upon the multiplicity rather than the quality of our possessions!

David Grayson quote from "Adventures in Friendship"

Does the New Year signal a cleaning spree for you?

Be sure to visit Elizabeth's blog to see what others are offering a second look at.

11 comments:

  1. Great post! Yes, I do starting cleaning after new year. Today I am cleaning out the fridge and freezer! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't tend to start cleaning after the new year. My biggest focus for that usually comes in the Autumn when I know I'll be hibernating at home more once weather gets cold. The older I get the more I realize how much I can do without. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post I usually clean in early spring and then just before winter-Happy new Year and Second on the 2nd

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, cleaning is not my thing! Happy 2nd on the 2nd and a happy new year, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember this post, Darla. I remember laughing at the visual. I normally clean in spring, or autumn, but never winter. It's too cold in my house and by the time I stick my hands in and out of water a few times, they are frozen, just like I've been today. Thank you for sharing this enjoyable look back as your second look on the 2nd.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make some very true points Darla. I always get into cleaning mode in early January too. I love getting space back in my house once the holiday decorations get put away. I love them but they can be bit claustrophobic. I hope you keep us updated on your cleaning projects as the days go by. And hope January 2 was a good day for you. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't clean until the Spring but any time is a good time I think

    Happy 2nd on the 2nd

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! I don't think I'd ever be able to be a minimalist! My little place is packed full. And just looking around it makes me smile and feel all cozy and happy. No minimalist here. I'd be lost without all my supplies...for reading, art, crafts, calligraphy, card making...of course, I am home almost 24/7 so this is my whole life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful quote and 2nd look, Darla. Yes the New Year signals a cleaning spree for me. Sadly, I can't act on the urge this year because my arm is in a cast. So patience is my word for the present ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this Darla - I so wish I wasn't a hoarder (and married to one too!!) I have every good intention but just can't seem to be ruthless enough to keep going to the end!! I at least have started this year by clearing a lot away(or out completely) and I am tidying as I go along...at least for now!! A very Happy New Year to you! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like this post, Darla. The idea of having one vase and only replacing it when you tire of it seems a marvellous idea. I'm with you on loving this time of year when we can declutter and clean.
    Happy 2nd on the 4th, I'm a bit behind, and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete