Friday, October 9, 2015

Thoughts on Friday


You Are Tired

e.e. cummings


You are tired 
(I think)
Of the always puzzle of living and doing;
And so am I.

Come with me then 
And we'll leave it far and far away-
(Only you and I understand!)

You have played 
(I think)
And broke the toys you were fondest of 
And are a little tired now;
Tired of things that break and-
Just tired.

So am I.


But I come with a dream in my eyes tonight 
And knock with a rose at the hopeless gate of your heart-
Open to me!
For I will show you the places Nobody knows 
And if you like 
The perfect places of Sleep.


Ah come with me!
I'll blow you that wonderful bubble the moon 
That floats forever and a day;
I'll sing you the jacinth song
Of the probable stars;
I will attempt the unstartled steppes of dream 
Until I find the Only Flower 
Which shall keep (I think) your little heart
While the moon comes out of the sea.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, Darla. This poem makes me feel so sad. It's true that life can sometimes feel little more than living and doing, I agree. I hope you agree there's more than that, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ee cummings is such a wonderful poet, and poetry can put into words the things that it is hard to say directly. It was National Poetry Day here in Britain yesterday, and it is good to enter into a different way of thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, what a beautiful poem Darla. I'm a little tired tonight - we have travelled to a wedding in another town, a three-day fest, perhaps too much for we old ones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a timely and beautiful poem. It must fit you now because you have to be soul-weary with the fire and the losses. I am finally finished with the move and am bone-weary tired--but that is much easier to endure than soul-weary. *love and hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure this fits you to the bone these days. It is a beautiful poem. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete