Thursday, October 22, 2015

*In Falling Snow* - (book)


Someone recommended this book, I can't recall who.  Was it you?  Whoever it was, thank you.  It was a great book with lots of well researched history.




*In Falling Snow*  Mary-Rose MacColl

Australian author MacColl by chance discovered information about a hospital established by women during World War 1.  This is her U.S. debut.

Iris Crain, an elderly Australian woman receives an invitation that takes her back in memory to the days she worked in a field hospital in France.  She remembers the first time in her life she had ever snowfall.  It also brings back memories of France at war and the young men dying while strong women try to save them.

The book weaves back and forth from the war years to today and between Australia and France.  The characters are vividly brought to life.

One fairly minor but continuing plot line is about an animal called a sugar glider.  It is a small, omnivorous, arboreal and nocturnal gliding possum. Something like a flying squirrel, I had to look that up although I imagine my Australian blogger friend Patricia would know what it was.

This book reminded me of the PBS series The ANZAC Girls.  I did enjoy the series.  If you saw it and liked it then I'm sure you would like this book

6 comments:

  1. They sell sugar gliders as pets here, and years ago we considered getting one. Then we researched them and found out how attention-intensive they are. They are adorable, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never hears of sugar gliders so now I want to google them. This sounds like my kind of book to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a book I would enjoy. I put in on my wish list. Thank you for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like an interesting book. I have never heard of a sugar glider. It sounds like some kind of instrument for cake making!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like an interesting book. I have never heard of a sugar glider. It sounds like some kind of instrument for cake making!

    ReplyDelete