Thursday, October 8, 2015

Knitting Yarns - Writers on Knitting - (book)

Knitting Yarns is an anthology of knitting essays by 27 writers.  Among them is Sue Grafton, Barbara Kingsolver, Elizabeth Berg and many more.





*Knitting Yarns*
Ann Hood

“The impressive collection of writers here have contributed essays that celebrate knitting and knitters. They share their knitting triumphs and disasters as well as their life triumphs and disasters. . . . These essays will break your heart. They will have you laughing out loud.”—Ann Hood, from the introduction.

Each essay tells of the writers experience with knitting, some were frustrated, some challenged and some like Sue Grafton wrote of their passion for knitting. Barbara Kinsolver even writes about sheering sheep for yarn.

Reading essays instead of embarking on a long novel suited me at the moment.  Each essay is short enough to be completed easily.  Of course I have an interest in knitting but I have also read something by most of the authors so that made it a double treat.

For knitters, the book includes five original knitting patterns created by Helen Bingham.  


I think these stories would appeal to many, knitters or not.  As an early holiday suggestion,  if you happen to need a gift for a knitter this would be a hit I'm pretty sure.

9 comments:

  1. I will have to look at this book as a possible Christmas present for my older daughter who LOVES to knit whenever and wherever she sits down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks interesting. And better yet...I checked with my library and the copy they have is not checked out (until later today when I'll do just that). Thanks for the recommendation. Have you read Anne McCafferty's book about knitting? Stitch in Time or something like that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book is:
    Stitches in Snow by Ann McCaffrey (It's a fun read)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a non-knitter, I must say this book looks fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of all the people you named, the only one I'd heard of (and read) was Sue Grafton. It sounds like a fun read, and I am sure it would be great for knitters. Sadly, I don't know any knitters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't gotten used to your new bloggy address yet. I still look for you in my blogger fee. I see you haven't installed a followers gadget yet......planning to??

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think you have to be a knitter to appreciate Darla's book. I've been reading it and some of the stories are more about the person's life (with a bit of knitting thrown in) and also some interesting ones about the writer's and their relationship with knitting. Thanks again for the recommendation, Darla. Good one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I would definitely enjoy this book. I have also enjoyed fiction by some of these authors that include knitting patterns and yarn shops as a profession of the main character, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this! I would love to read it myself and it probably would also be something for my friend who is a passionate knitter herself.

    ReplyDelete