Monday, October 19, 2015

Neighborhood walk - 10/19/15

When I go walking I always take my phone and look for things to take photos of along the way.  It makes the walk more interesting.  This time I was looking for plant life.



Imagine my surprise when I came across this fig tree with lots of figs just about ready to eat.  Can you spot the small one here?


There was a larger one further down on the tree.  These are the type of fig that are still green in color when they are ripe.  I think this one was about ready.  I resisted temptation.


Many shops use landscaping that requires little water.  You can barely make it out but there is a nice rusty looking piece that makes up the railing next to the stairs.  Blends with the plants nicely.

Do you like figs?  I do.  I know lots of people cook with them, I usually just eat them as is. 


10 comments:

  1. I appreciate businesses that landscape with an eye towards decreasing water usage. That railing turns a utilitarian necessity into a piece of art. How nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy figs but rarely ever buy them or bake with them. Around here, they are an exotic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fresh figs off the tree, but I find them too sticky and sweet when dried. Mostly they don't ripen here in England, sadly. The ones in the shops have been shipped thousands of miles in a chiller and don't taste the same. So they are a real treat in warm countries!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never seen a fig tree and therefore never tasted a fresh fruit. I have tasted dried dates ( too sweet ), but figs must be different. Both oh so exotic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love figs. But my tree just isn't flourising.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore figs, but don't think I have ever seen a fig tree. They are extremely expensive here, and occasionally I buy one or two, and carefully eat them, one half at a time. The rusty railing is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The railing is very attractive! The only way I could plant a fig tree would be in a pot, I fear, so I could bring it in for the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Figs!! They are difficult to grow here - you have to pamper them and keep them warm during the cold months. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that railing! I really enjoy seeing the surge in decorative metal working that's been going on for a few years.

    Despite growing up next door to a fig tree that we were welcome to pick from, I have never eaten a fig. My mother did not like them, so I did not try them. Now I would like to try them, but I have never once seen them in the markets up here- down in so Cal, I'd see them in the produce department of regular stores! So I think I am doomed to never taste a fig.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do like fresh figs, but don't often buy them because they are very pricey. I grew up enjoying the dried figs that we stuffed with a whole almond and ate on Thanksgiving. My husband enjoys the dried figs plain.

    ReplyDelete