Sunday, June 2, 2019

Second on the Second 6/2/19


On the second of each month Elizabeth suggests we bring an older post back up to the top for a second look.  Mine is a bit long this time but I hope you enjoy it.  I found it interesting that Elizabeth and I both posted about a book and she was the inspiration for my book in the first place.  Please check here to see what other people have offered for a second time.

TUESDAY, JUNE 25, 2013


Finally! The book revealed

A couple of months ago Elizabeth posted a recycled journal that intrigued me.  You can see it here.  Elizabeth is a wonderful and prolific mixed media artist and often an inspiration.

My book was created with recycled greeting cards, some junk mail, some papers I stamped with my hand carved stamps.  Nothing was purchased in the making of this journal.



The cover and spine of my book (cardboard and junk mail) being glued to recycled newsprint that I stamped - I posted a picture of that sheet earlier



The outside of the cover when finished.  Note the pull tabs that I'll use for the closure.




Recycled cards, all but one have been decorated to cover the original card and also the inside page if there was a message.


Preparing to tie cards to the spine of the cover


Assembling the pages


Finished book




Here is a little video my GD helped me with.  Something else I learned in this process, how to take a video and post it.  The quality is poor but I think you can get an idea about the finished book.

This turned out to be much  lengthier process than I anticipated but I learned a lot along the way.
.  Have a "theme" in mind for the book, easier to coordinate the layout
.  Save greeting cards - I didn't have a huge selection and most were thin shiny paper
.  Tie the pages in very tight - a couple of mine are a little wobbly.
.  Each card basically has 4 sides, that is a whole lot of decorating.

I don't know if I will make another book of this sort.  A lot of my desire to create art is about the Process and not the Product.  I like leaning "how" better than doing it again.

How about you?  Do you work with an idea over and over, improving it along the way?  Do you ever just want to try something to see how it is done?

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful book. I didn't get to see the video as there's a video unavailable message. I'm making a book in class this week. We're making a Japanese stab bound binding. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous book Darla. I love how it was all made by recycled materials. I am really glad you shared it so we could all see it, especially us who weren't visiting you blog the first time around. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness, Darla. I am so in awe of how great your book turned out. I love that we both recycled to make these books our own.

    Thanks, too, BTW for the link, as I had forgotten about the book I made. I agree they take a LONG time to make and possibly equally long to assemble. I am so in awe of your book, and although I ended up making two of them, I will probably never make a third. I agree that often the process is far more important than the product. Thanks for sharing this second look with us again on the 2nd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed seeing how you made your book-I love it-and will save for future reference. I would like to make one of these. thanks so much. the video link didn't work-Happy second on the 2nd Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your book, Darla! It really is lovely. I'm like you - I can't settle on one art or craft form. I love trying new things. The catch is that I want to be good at them all 😉 🤔 Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete