Friday, March 2, 2018

Second on the Second - 3/2/18

Time goes by so quickly, I cannot believe it has been a month since I posted to my blog.  Elizabeth is such a faithful blogger and she pulls me out of a slump from time to time.   She's hosting The Second on the Second, a chance to bring an old post back for a second look.  You can visit her here.

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 13, 2011

Family Fashion

Since I was talking about my Mom and fashion yesterday I thought today I'd post an old photo of the two of us.  My Mom looks about 17 but she had to have been in her late 20's and the mother of two children by the time this was taken.  I have a brother three years younger than I am.


Mom was quite a seamstress and made most of my clothes and some of her own. She went through a phase of making us matching outfits when I was young. I don't know for sure but I expect these dresses were blue and white. I know she would never (!) have put black on a child.

Since I recently became the keeper of a number of old family photo albums I may be sharing other old photos from time to time.  Of course I've seen the photo's one time or another in the past but it has been years since I really sat down and turned the album pages.

Do you have any (or many) old family photos?

9 comments:

  1. Lovely to see you back here on your blog, Darla. I love the photo of you and your Mom. My Mother wore her hair almost exactly like that! Must have been the era. My Mom also sewed a lot of our clothes, but not matching. I was a redhead so my dress was usually green. Bonnie had brown hair with red highlights and her dresses were usually red. Christine (5 years younger than us) wore blue. This pattern carried on into gifts (green, red radios when we were in our teens, etc.) Glad you're back and look forward to seeing more from your old treasured albums.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow darla, your mom does look about 17. She looks gorgeous in that outfit. And you look cute! What a nice photo to have. I don't think I have any of my mom and me-when I was little that is. Glad to see you back again! Hope we see you for T next week too. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Darla, Long time no see! I'm happy to see you back in blogland.
    What a precious photo of you and your mum. I agree, she does look 17. What fun to have matching dresses. The fashion back then was so feminine. We used to call dresses 'frocks'. My grandmother was a seamstress and made all our clothes. My sister and me and also my mum. So we were always very well dressed in spite of our humble status.
    I hope you do make time to look through those albums. It will trigger your memory. Also you will find things or people you cannot remember (frustratingly) and then you will have to get into contact with relatives, which can't be bad...
    Have a great weekend,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is great to see you posting again. It made me happy to see you joined us for Second on the 2nd. I agree with others. Your mother is both beautiful and holds her age well. Those matching dresses were awesome. My grandmother never made matching dresses for us, but she made all my clothes until I started high school, at which time I started buying my own clothes with money I made over the summer. I have the most awesome Sunbonnet Sue quilt she made from leftover fabric from dresses she made me in kindergarten. I'm simply thrilled you shared the outfit you had as a child, too. I think dresses went away in about second grade. Thanks for sharing your Second on the 2nd today, dear Darla.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just thinking about you today, realizing I had not seen a post of your in a while! Glad to see it pop up today. I love that photo. My older sister is keeper of our family photos. I have a few.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your re post
    Happy second on the 2nd

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Darla, what a cute photo. You were a sweet little girl, and that is fun having mother/daughter outfits. My mother made all our clothes too, but only once dressed my sister and I alike, and never joined in herself. Now I feel cheated :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have done my best to gather up the family photos, and keep them safe. We have so many but I organised them recently in a filing cabinet and that makes them much easier to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the matching dresses. And that running board! I like those car styles :)

    I do have a lot of old family photos and enjoy looking through them. I've framed some for a photo wall. I wish I knew how to "fix" them digitally to sharpen them up.

    ReplyDelete