Monday, February 8, 2016

Mrs. Poe (book)

Ready for some cold, rainy day reading?  I think we are all familiar with the works of Edgar Allen Poe but I really didn't know much about his life.

This is a fictional tale of Edgar Allan Poe's life, including Mrs. Poe, a cousin he married when she was 13.  It is written from the viewpoint of poet Frances Osgood, a woman he reportedly had an affair with.



"Mrs Poe"
Lynn Cullen

While the story is fictionalized, Cullen uses both Poe's and Osgood's actually poetry.  Many pieces are known to be written for and to one another.  This forms the basis of the belief that they had an affair.

The mid 1800's in New York was an interesting era.  The story includes descriptions of New York society in that era and other famous people of the time.

The book was a gift, something I might not have chosen on my own.  I enjoyed this book and added a bit to my knowledge of the author and his life and times.

4 comments:

  1. It's interesting how a book you would never pick out for yourself ends up being an enjoyable read. Fun gift :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoever gave you the book must know you well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a book you would enjoy. I'm glad you took the time to read and review it for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This does look interesting Darla. 1800s New York would fascinate me too, and Poe is intriguing himself. Even marrying a 13 year old gives one pause.

    ReplyDelete