Monday, January 16, 2023

Tea Stands for Tuesday - 1/17/22

 The Bay Area is still pretty soggy but the sun is breaking through today which gives me hope.  I think Wendesday is going to give us a little more rain but after that we are looking at a good streak of dry days.  I'm ready for that.



"We're made of star stuff" Carl Sagan

This is a card I made for my adult Grandddaughters birthday.  We both share an interest in the study of space and Carl Sagan's work.  I couldn't get a great photo since there was such poor natural light.  The background square is a gelli print and the drawing/writing is done with Poska pens.

Today I'm trying to dye some papers with beet juice made from leftover beet skins.



Here you see some regular copy paper drying.  I'm drinking my tea in a cup said granddaughter sent me some time ago.  I really like the color of the paper although it will probably lighten as it gets dry.  I did try a sheet of caligraphy paper which turned to mush almost immediately as it got wet.  Always something new to learn.  

Please join me and visit our Tea Party Hostes here.  There are some great people posting there.




14 comments:

  1. This card is beautiful. Your granddaughter will like it and appreciate it. The mug is interesting with a colourful banana.
    Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the card you made-and fun with the dyed papers from beets! Happy T

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your California weather soon settles down and that you have only as much rain as you need!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Darla, What a beautiful, space-themed card you made your granddaughter, who I'm sure was delighted! I love the colour of your beet dye paper. Wondering how it would work on bits of lace. I am fiddling with fabric collage. Must try it :) Happy crafting dear Darla.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am loving your art today Darla, and I really hope you dry out soon. Your paper is such a pretty shade; too bad it will mostly fade a bit when dry. And I especially love your mug. I adored my grandmother when I was growing up, and we always called her Nana Banana too. Happy T day. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea that we are made up of star stuff!! :) You made a beautiful card! Nice to have that in common with your daughter.. Experimenting is always fun! Happy T day to you Darla! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your granddaughter will love the card. Nice color on the paper. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your card is beautiful and I also like the color of the dyed paper.
    The rain has been wild, but so much needed. I hope we will get more to fill up our reservoirs and aquifers, but not in such a relentless way. The sun today is a wonderful break.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh your granddaughter will love this card. I really like your mug. Have a great day today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a lovely card. I'm a huge Carl Sagan fan, too,so I am sure she will love this card. I was just gifted with my first Posca pen and I am in love with them. Now I want an entire set. You put yours to great use.

    I don't care for beets, but I can see the possibility for both paper and fabric dyeing. Sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing your lovely card, your beet dyed paper, and your Nana Banana mug with us for T this Tuesday, dear Darla.

    I hope your River House is on high ground and not in a mudslide or high water zone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a beautiful card, I bet your granddaughter loved it too! Your Nana Banana mug made me smile - perfect 😊. Happy T Day wishes! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the nana banana mug! I need to get that for our daughter. Her name is Lana, and all through school kids would say things like "Lana Banana". Maybe she would think it funny. Don't know. Lovely card. Happy T Day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful card you made! Love the mug and the paper you dyed as well. Super creative stuff in your world. Happy T-day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the card you made for your Granddaughter!
    What a great experiment. That beet juice is a lovely color. And you found out which paper Not to use- that's a win!
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete