Wednesday, September 25, 2019

The Address - book

I've been reading quite a bit lately.  I thought I'd pass on a few titles of books I enjoyed.  This one is 
historical fiction.  If you have any reading suggestions, please leave them in the comments.




After a failed apprenticeship, working her way up to head housekeeper of a posh London hotel is more than Sara Smythe ever thought she’d make of herself. But when a chance encounter with Theodore Camden, one of the architects of the grand New York apartment house The Dakota, leads to a job offer, her world is suddenly awash in possibility—no mean feat for a servant in 1884. The opportunity to move to America, where a person can rise above one’s station. The opportunity to be the female manager of The Dakota, which promises to be the greatest apartment house in the world. And the opportunity to see more of Theo, who understands Sara like no one else...and is living in The Dakota with his wife and three young children.

Review from Goodreads.

4 comments:

  1. Looks good, Darla. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any historical fiction in ages and am unfamiliar with this author. This book looks interesting.

    Back when I was heavily interested, my favorite authors were Thomas B. Costain, Willa Cather, and Victoria Holt. All of them are dead now, though, and I don't know any historical fiction written by living authors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book has been on my wish list and I enjoyed reading your review of it Darla.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This cover looks familiar, but I'm sure I haven't read the book. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete