Thursday, January 3, 2019

This morning's poetry





pen and ink on cardstock



What I know

I could put into a pack

as if it were bread and cheese, and carry it

on one shoulder,

important and honorable, but so small!

While everything else continues, unexplained


and unexplainable. How wonderful it is


to follow a thought quietly


to its logical end.


I have done this a few times.


But mostly I just stand in the dark field,


in the middle of the world, breathing


in and out. Life so far doesn't have any other name


but breath and light, wind and rain.


If there's a temple, I haven't found it yet.


I simply go on drifting, in the heaven of the grass


and the weeds.


- Mary Oliver

7 comments:

  1. That's an expressive drawing! It's serendipitous to see the poem today. I've never card for poetry beyond "Little Willy" verse and limericks lol but have decided to learn more of what I've been missing in the coming year. Thank you for this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the pen and ink and enjoyed your poem

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful poem. I am really impressed that with how you can create such a wonderful drawing with just a few curving lines. Happy Jan. 3. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pen and ink drawing is beautiful. I've missed your drawings. That was a lovely poem you chose to share today, dar Darla.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that quote and the drawing is delightful! :)

    ReplyDelete