Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Art Journal Journey - Vintage or Modern




It isn't often that I am able to participate in challenges.  I hope I'm doing this one right.  My choice for entry at Art Journal Journey is "Vintage".



"Vintage Fashion"
Mixed Media on 8x10 canvas board

For the background I used newspaper, old sewing pattern paper and some vintage fashion images I had from who knows where.  I used acrylic paints.

My intent when doing this work was to try a new to me resist.  You see those 4 smaller images?  I covered them with Vaseline.  Yep!  Then I covered them with the green acrylic - painting right over the Vaseline.  When the paint was tacky but not dry I wiped over the sections I had covered and the paint came right off.  I then carefully removed any remaining Vaseline with a soft cloth.  I read about this method ages ago - sorry don't recall where.  It was fun and I think rather successful.

So... that's my long Vintage entry.

5 comments:

  1. Mornin' Darla. This looks like a very interesting technique - I'll have to try it one of these days soon. The little images in the background set the tone and compliment the face of the woman. Her hat says vintage by itself. Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your resist technique turned out well, didn't it! I love the hats. A hat is such a key to period, I think, and these are great :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous results with the vaseline resist technique and the Modigliani like woman is great as well!
    What a fab page for the AJJ theme! Thank you for supporting us Darla! Hugs, Susi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes you did this perfectly right Darla. I LOVE this page. Your background green is my favorite color and that woman is really amazing! What a great choice and I am so happy you joined us at AJJ. I hope you might even think about joining us again at some point. (smile). Thanks so much for joining in. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought I should be sure not to miss your latest lovely art. Your resist turned out great. I love it. It's beautiful and so is the lady you drew on the page. Thanks for sharing it with us at Art Journal Journey, dear. And again, sorry I'm late visiting.

    ReplyDelete