Saturday, June 2, 2018

Second on the Second - 6/2/18

Surprise!  I'm here on a Saturday.  I couldn't pass up an opportunity to join Elizabeth and friends for a chance to bring back an old post for the second time.

Hope you enjoy trivia.

WEDNESDAY, JULY 08, 2015


Trivia

I often read Kovels Antiques newsletter. I thought you might enjoy this recently published bit of trivia. 


PINK FLAMINGOS MADE HIM FAMOUS

Jul 01, 2015

Plastic pink flamingos are in the news again. David Featherstone, the artist who first designed the iconic pink flamingo lawn ornament, died on June 22, 2015. He designed three-dimensional plastic animals, birds and people for Union Products Inc. of Leominster, Mass., and in 1958, he created the flamingo. It was the symbol of kitsch for years. So many copies were made that the original mold was inscribed with the artist’s name from 1987 to 2001 so official flamingos could be identified. Enthusiastic buyers insisted his signature be put back because they didn’t want to buy unsigned versions, so it’s also on birds made from 2002 until 2006, when the company closed. Flamingos are now made from the original molds by Cado Products of Fitchburg, Mass. Featherstone was a recognized artist, his pink flamingos made him famous and financially secure.
Photo Credit: Vintage & Nostalgia Co.



Have you spotted any pink flamingos recently?  I've looked for 
them on my walks but haven't spotted any.

8 comments:

  1. A couple of years ago they floated around my town. They started on one person's lawn and they would move them another. We even got them. It was a fun thing. But I didn't know the story and it is fascinating. Even more so as I grew up about 30 miles away from there. Thanks for sharing this again. It was a great repost! Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was delightful to read. It reminded me of a friend of ours. Joe loved flamingos. When he passed away, his wife had a wake. It was close to Christmas that year and she asked that we bring "a flamingo" ornament to hang on a little tree in his memory. I made one our of watercolor paper for me and another one for Phil. The little tree was something that Joe would have loved and we all remembered as we celebrated his life. Thanks for sharing this. I didn't remember it from the first time you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this was very fun-thanks for sharing Happy second on the 2nd Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fun share for 2nd on the 2nd., Darla I haven't seen any pink flamingos lately but I had a friend who kept one in her otherwise classically furnished living room. The other kitschy thing in Pam's living room was a lovely painted sign that said, "Life's too short to drink bad wine."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember this from the first time you shared it. For years I thought this was the classic form of kitsch and actually defined kitsch. I always thought they were tacky until I realized how people got so emotional over those silly yard ornaments and how much money they were willing to fork out for one. Featherstone really knew what he was doing when he invented this. Thanks for sharing this second look on the 2nd.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know them yet and neoter I knew about that designer but since last summer flamingos are very popular on paper and pictures and as a design element everywhere!
    Happy Second on the 2nd dear Darla!
    Hugs, Susi

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so interesting Darla. Flamingos are still enjoying something of a revival in Australia, and a nice theme for parties as well as gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I looked for them for several years, and finally this spring I found one for a decent price, so he is a garden ward for us.

    Some group in town has a fund raiser where they put a huge flock of flamingos in front of a business. To make them go away, the business must pay up!

    ReplyDelete