Friday, December 2, 2022

Second on the Second 12/02/22

 Here we are on the second day of the last month of 2022.  Sometimes I read the number I've written for the year and can't believe it.  Here is my entry for the Second on the Second hosted by Elizabeth.  A little T stands for Tuesday throw back.

TUESDAY, JULY 23, 2013

T stands for Tuesday - Sunflowers

Elizabeth at Altered Book Lover is hosting "T stands for Tuesday".  I thought I would be fun to add a poetry reading to the tea party.  Sip your morning cup of tea and read along with me.



hand painted individual tea set



I even have a coordinating tea spoon holder


THE SUNFLOWERS
by Mary Oliver

Come with me
into the field of sunflowers.
Their faces are burnished disks,
their dry spines

creak like ship masts,
their green leaves,
so heavy and many,
fill all day with the sticky

sugars of the sun.
Come with me
to visit the sunflowers,
they are shy

but want to be friends;
they have wonderful stories
of when they were young -
the important weather,

the wandering crows.
Don't be afraid
to ask them questions!
Their bright faces,

which follow the sun,
will listen, and all
those rows of seeds -
each one a new life!

hope for a deeper acquaintance;
each of them, though it stands
in a crowd of many,
like a separate universe,

is lonely, the long work
of turning their lives
into a celebration
is not easy. Come

and let us talk with those modest faces,
the simple garments of leaves,
the coarse roots in the earth
so uprightly burning.

4 comments:

  1. Nice little tea set and I love Mary Oliver. Happy Second on the Second. Elle/EOTC xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great tea set, and means even more right now with the Ukrainian War. I hope December has started off in a good way. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that tea set and the poem. It may have been the first time I saw a tea pot and cup together like that. And the sunflowers are great because they keep Ukraine in our hearts and minds, too.

    Thanks for this incredible and timely second look on the 2nd, dear Darla. I LOVE this repost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Darla. Christmas is coming, and I am trying to keep up with the blogs :) What a cheerful and pretty tea set, all bright with sunflowers.

    ReplyDelete