Monday, September 7, 2020

Tea Stands for Tuesday - 9/8/2020

I'm so happy to be able to join Elizabeth and friends for Tuesday Tea.



I drink my coffee first thing in the morning and hope.  CA is experiencing a record breaking heat wave.  Wild fires are happening all up and down the state so we have smokey skies.  That is on top of the underlying pandemic and the fact that many things are closed.  I was thinking about this because Labor Day in the U.S. signals the end of summer and is often a time for picnics and bar-b-cues.  Since I couldn't attend either of those, I was thinking of recipes I might of used in the past.  Then I stumbled on this......




Here is a little trivia about a condiment in regular use today: Tomato-based ketchup quickly caught on in the U.S. during the first few decades of the 19th century. At first, it was made and locally sold by farmers, but by 1837 at least one company was producing and distributing it on a national scale. The H. J. Heinz Company, a name that's synonymous with ketchup for most people today, was a relative latecomer to the game and didn't produce a tomato-based ketchup until 1876. They originally referred to their product as catsup, but switched to ketchup in the 1880's to stand out. Eventually, ketchup became the standard spelling in the industry and among consumers, though you can still find catsup strongholds sprinkled across the U.S. (via @mentalfloss.com.)

I didn't know Heinz has been around that long. I'm apparently in the minority as I say catsup. How about you?

16 comments:

  1. I adore your beautiful to-go cup and flowers. It is a great way to start T Tuesday.

    As for Heinz, I don't care if they call it ketchup or catsup, I hate it and have a dislike for it in all forms. I did appreciate the information on the Heinz company, though.

    Thanks for sharing your beautiful cup and flowers for T this almost Tuesday, as well as teaching us a bit about that vile tomato based product so many people love to put on their sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just made Soljanka and Hubby last year added the word "catsup" to the recipe!
    Happy T-day. Heinz sounds so German... but due to my Niece we had "Frozen" ketchup, you know, the ice-princess...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought ketchup ( as I say) was more modern. Wow, Heinz has been around for a long time. And beautiful coffee mug piece. Perfect for T. Have a great day Darla. Hugs Erika

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say "ketchup" and have never heard it pronounced any other way. Perhaps a regional thing?

    "Coffee helps" in the mornings, yes it does :)

    Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so sorry about the fires-Yellowstone has been burning too.
    I enjoyed reading about Ketchup I knew Heinz had been around a very long time but didn't realize they changed the spelling-that was smart
    Happy T Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your little coffee image! Heinz is a very interesting figure in American food history, isn't he. My culinary reading group read a biography of him a few years ago -- I blogged it here:
    https://maefood.blogspot.com/2016/01/urban-life-in-america-on-eve-of-world.html

    His accomplishments in both food technology and food advertising were large.

    be well... mae

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute coffee image. Interesting info on one of my favorite food. I use catsup and ketchup interchangeably, but ketchup seems easier to pronounce.

    Happy T-Day. Stay safe and well. Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  8. heinz is still my favorite, especially now that we can get corn syrup free ketchup.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting, Darla. We have fires here in Washington, too. Our skies this morning are clear and the air fresh, but last night it was very smoky. It's windy and we expect smoke to arrive as the fires continue to burn in eastern Washington (and some in western as well). We're heinz folks, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your coffee mug art and sentiment for today. Horrible about the devastating fires!!
    Aah, yes, Heinz is an oldie-and we have always said "ketchup":) Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I grew up in Minnesota with Swedish relatives and heard both all the time. But over the years I have stuck with Ketchup because it was what I heard most often.
    Stay safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a Heinz ketchup kinda girl. Heinz Hall in Pittsburgh is beautiful and I was lucky enough to dine in the Mozart room once.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so sorry about the fires in CA. Here in OR. we are on fire as well. The smoke is at level 200+ in my town. Enough of that. I use to be a catsup girl. I mean EVERYTHING got catsup. Now that I am old I hardly use it. Funny how our tastes change. Be safe from smoke, fire, and covid.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is interesting. I had not heard the word 'catsup'. So I'm a ketchup lady. Yes, we have Heinz tomato ketchup here in Spain, but only the basic ketchup. In other countries I have found different types, including Hot Ketchup.
    Yes, I knew that Heinz was a very old company. Mae has added a link about Heinz to her comment. That also makes very interesting reading.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do hope that the winds drop and give the firefighters a chance to control the fires.
    In the UK it's always been called Ketchup as long as I remember - must confess that there are some foods that do taste better with a splodge of ketchup and yes, Heinz is the one I like most! A very belated Happy T Day, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tea helps me to get going in the morning. And I’m part of the ketchup crew. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete