Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Tea Stands for Tuesday - Second on the Second - 7/2/19


Good Morning friends.  This month Tuesday falls on the 2nd so I'm bringing an old post up for a second view.  Be sure to visit Elizabeth's blog this morning where others will be joining in the kick off to July.

TUESDAY, JANUARY 21, 2014


T stands for Tuesday - 1/21/14

Tuesday and time for Tea. Today I am drinking Marsala Chai. It takes a little more effort to make than my usual pot of tea but occasionally I make that extra effort. Thanks to Elizabeth for hosting T stands for Tuesday, and inspiring me to have a special tea this morning. 



Marsala chai

Chai is simply the Hindi word for tea and can refer to plain black tea.  I know the drink is sometimes referred to as Chai Tea here in the US but that is obviously redundant.  Marsala chai literally means mixed spice tea in Urdu. Marsala chai is a flavored tea made by brewing black tea with an assortment of Indian spices.  

Here is my method for making Marsala Chai

2 cups water

4 teaspoons black tea leaves

1 chunk ginger, minced
3 cardamom pods, open pod and use seed and pods in mix
1 inch or so stick cinnamon
3 whole cloves
4 whole black peppercorns

Milk (in my case almond milk)
Sugar to taste.  I like to use brown sugar

Crush the spices using a spice grinder or a mortar and pestle

Put 2 cups of water in pot, bring to a boil.  Add the tea and crushed spices, boil for about 15 seconds, let stand for one minute.

Warm the milk in a pot (or in the microwave)

Strain the above tea into cups.  Add warm milk and sugar to taste.  I like my chai about 2/3 tea to 1/3 milk so you might start with that and see what tea/milk ratio you like best.

Once in awhile I vary the spices and add a whole star anise, some fennel seed or part of a vanilla bean but the list above is my standard.

I don't use much regular milk but substitute almond milk most of the time except in cooking.  I think it works well with this tea although standard dairy milk is of course traditional.

Do you like Marsala Chai?  Have you tried almond milk?

6 comments:

  1. Dear Darla, I have NO idea why you can't link your post, but now even I can't view the links. PLEASE ADD THIS to the T party post, rather than the Second on the 2nd. At least that way, people will be able to see it. Some of us, like me, will remember it, too. Thanks for sharing it a second time, dear. Sorry about the link mess up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to mention, I made Chai once. Not sure what kind it was, but the spices I used were the same as the ones you used in yours. I used half and half, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was finally able to see the link up. I tried to add you, but it wouldn't allow me, since I have to use your log-in information. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't remember seeing this recipe before but am bookmarking it to try. Thanks for re-posting it :) Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous recipe Darla, I will try it out- sounds yummie to me! Happy July!

    ReplyDelete