Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Tea Stands for Tuesday - 6/4/19


TEA TIME


Now that we have the tea covered,  lets talk about dainty little tea party sandwiches.  The ones with their crusts cut off.

There seems to be something, especially popular in the Southern States called "Pimento Cheese" sandwiches. 


While searching around I came upon this.  I remember it (or something like it) from my childhood.  It then came in glass jars that were decorative and used as juice jars I think.  I didn't much like the cheese spread.

I'm curious.  Like so many things, the home made version probably tastes a lot different and a lot better.  I'm going to experiment.  Here's the recipe I have - handed down through a friend's family

4 oz good cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 (7 oz) jar of pimentos, drained

2 T. mayo (more or less to taste)
1 scallion, diced 
shake of garlic powder
1/8 tsp sugar

Using a mixer, combine all ingredients until smooth. You can mix by hand too, but it takes about 2 minutes and does not come out quite as smooth. You don't want to use the pre-shredded cheese for this, typically, it does not taste as good. 
There are a lot of variations on this, adding ketchup and Heinz chili garlic sauce and eliminating sugar makes it sweeter. Some like addition of a spicy ingredient like Tabasco. Some add a vinegar to make it tangy.

Is pimento cheese a staple at your house?  Have you even tasted it?Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Meanwhile, lets go to Elizabeth's blog and see who else it at the Tuesday Tea Party today.

14 comments:

  1. Good heavens not a staple in our house. My Mom was a fan (quick lunch by slapping it on some white bread) and she used the jars that it came in for juice glasses. When I got to college, the dietician in charge of the menus at the Commons loved pimentos. I later worked in the kitchen and I asked her why. She said it "brightened up a dish" to have them in it. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard of this before, but it sounds good! I'm going to save your recipe and try to make it at some point. Thanks for sharing it, and Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother always liked pimento cheese, but I never did. I think for my tea sandwiches I'll have chicken salad -or maybe tuna salad- instead ;)

    I enjoyed your Gladstone quote. Tea is perfect, it seems :) Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the tea poster and quote! We did not grow up having pimento cheese or spread but a friend of ours grew up in the south and when we are all at the beach the first thing he stops for is some fresh pimento cheese spread at a local market:) Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm loving the tea quote! I've never had pimento cheese spread and I'm not sure if we can even buy it here in the UK so as we are having the crusts cut off our sandwiches today maybe I should go for our traditional cucumber sandwiches instead ...lol 😉. Wishing you a very happy T Day! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  6. that tea poster is a hoot!!
    and i´m not sure if we can buy it here in germany. never heard of it.
    happy t-day ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE that tea poster and Gladstone quote. Those tea pots are wonderful.

    I think we may have had pimento cheese once, but I don't remember it, or the glasses. I can't make that recipe because there is something in mayonnaise that makes me sick. I can taste it as soon as it touches my lips. That's why I always ask if they use mayo in whatever sandwich or salad I'm ordering. However, I appreciate the recipe. Thanks for sharing it and the teapots and quotes with us for T this Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember Kraft's Pimento Cheese Spread from my childhood and we had a lot of those decorated juice glasses in our house!

    Happy T-day, Darla! Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its a fantastic tea page a super array of tea pots and a super quote.
    I've never heard of the spread, not in the UK stores anyway.
    It sounds quite tasty,
    Happy T day wishes.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your tea poster. I do remember this spread as a kid. My Mom would put it on crackers or on celery sticks-but did not make the tea sandwiches with it. I remember as a child I was not real crazy about it but I thank you for the recipe-as that does sound good. Happy T hugs kathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. We used to use those jars as glasses. Wow what a memory. I don't
    remember what came in them though. Maybe it was the pimento cheese spread. And I love the tea poster too Darla. Hope T day was great. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never heard of it. Love the tea poem and tea pots. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never heard of pimento cheese. Pimento is the Spanish word for pepper (as in bell pepper). It sounds like a nice recipe. I personally would have to have something spicy added to that. But I don't think I'd eat it that often. We only eat sandwiches when we travel or go for a picnic. Thanks for sharing this interesting titbit.
    The poem with the tea pots is delightful.
    Happy belated T-Day,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful tea pots page Darla !! It´s really beautiful. I´ve never taste pimiento with cheese, but it may be delicious. Thanks so much for sharing. Happy belated T-day!
    I wish you a very nice Friday,
    Big hugs, Caty

    ReplyDelete