Friday, February 2, 2018

Second on the Second - 2/2/18

On the second of the month Elizabeth hosts "The Second on the Second" on her blog.  It is a great reason to look back through some of our posts and find one we'd like to bring back for a second view.  Here's mine for February.  Be sure to visit Elizabeth and find out what others are offering a second time

MONDAY, JULY 21, 2014


Aprons

I was recently discussing aprons with some friends.  How we do or do not wear them.  Someone sent me the following "History of Aprons" and it brought back lots of memories.  My GGM lived with us until I was in my teens.  I don't remember ever seeing her without her apron unless she was going to church.


apron I sent to my cousin last year


The History of APRONS

I don't think our kids know what an apron is.

The principal use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath because she only had a few. It was also because it was easier to wash aprons than dresses and aprons used less material. 
But along with that, it served as a potholder for removing hot pans from the oven. It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.

From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.

When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids.  And when the weather was cold Grandma wrapped it around her arms.

Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove. Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron.

From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls.  In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.

When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.

When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men folk knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.

It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that 'old-time apron' that served so many purposes.

Do you wear and apron?  I have several but the languish in a drawer.  

10 comments:

  1. Good morning I really enjoyed this post from the past. I often think of this too as my farm girl Grandma Always always wore an apron except when she was leaving the house.
    thanks for the memories Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do wear an apron when I am cooking when we are having company over. Only because if we have guests, I am probably wearing something nice and not just jeans and a tee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely post. Worthy of being seen again.
    To answer you question: I always wear an apron. Practically the whole day. But only when I'm home. I wear those short dress type modern ones. I live in Spain and many women wear aprons so I can get modern ones. I take it off when I go out or when someone comes to see us. I wipe my hands on it and do a lot of the things mentioned in your post. Needless to say i have many and they get washed every day. When I was staying at my mom's this Christmas, I kept wiping my hands on my clothes out of habit. I asked mum if she had an apron for me (she is 93) but no, she didn't have one!
    Have a great weekend,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  4. I apologize for not visiting sooner. My internet (and phone) has been offline for over 14 hours. I remember this wonderful post from the past and am SO glad you brought it back. I have never worn an apron, even when I should have been when splattering paint around. I know there are so many uses for the apron, but my grandmother never wore one, so I never got in the habit of wearing one, either.

    Thanks for sharing this awesome second look back on the 2nd.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not an apron lady (mor of a ragy sweatshirt kind), but I did love reading this. Aprons remind me of my grandmothers, and that brings back such warm fuzzy feelings. Thanks for reposting so those of us who didn't see it before get to see it now. :) Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun to read this again Darla. I am an apron girl, but only for cooking when I seem to really need it. The family give me a new one from time to time, so it makes a good gift. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely post this was! I remember my Mum and my Gran both wore aprons all the time indoors! I am an occasional apron wearer - one for the kitchen that gets washed regularly and one in my craft room that has layers of paint but was signed by Tim Holtz so won't be getting washed lol!Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a couple of aprons but never think to wear them. What a lovely history of the apron. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have aprons that I wear regularly--often because I am in the kitchen cooking while dressed in work clothes. I have been known to sit down for a meal, including with friends, with my apron still on. Both of my grandmothers wore aprons all day long; I have one of my one grandmother's aprons. (But my mom never wore them!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still wear an apron when I'm cooking and when I get messy in my studio. In the kitchen I have an apron with a moose on it that says "I moose cook" whereas the one in the studio has a bunch of cats that I got in England many many years ago

    ReplyDelete